Hi and welcome! I’m excited to have you here. I’m originally from Toronto, now living in the Prairies. I am a wife to a Volkswagen-obsessed prairie guy and a mama (right now I’m called “mum-mum”) to a sweet and verrry energetic toddler girl. On this blog I will call her Squish. Don’t feel too sorry for her, she has a different name in real life. 😉
I have always been curious and passionate about many different things. Some people know at a young age that they want to be a lawyer or a vet and as an activity they absolutely love baseball or knitting and they very determinedly pursue or follow those things. That is focused and awesome but that was never really me. I am more of a generalist than a specialist. I used to see this as a problem. Now I see this as one of my biggest strengths.
These are just some of the jobs I have had throughout my life so far:
- Worked in a national park in fisheries
- Built websites and databases
- Freelance writing
- Assistant in an animal behavior lab
- Communications for an environmental non-profit organization
- Ran my own organic bakery – expect to see some yummy recipes in this space.
I’ve always been a frugal type person. I think it was something that was in me right from very early on. There were never a whole lot of things I wanted to buy and I didn’t feel like I was missing out if I didn’t have the latest whatever-it-is. More than once I have had a relative give me gift money for a past birthday and tell me “spend it on something fun for yourself, don’t spend it on groceries!” Can I help it if I find groceries fun? 🙂 This frugal nature will hopefully come in handy with having a little one and wanting to spend as much time as possible with her while working the least.
Since having Squish, I would like to figure out part-time work that I can do from home. Follow along on my journey as I try different things to increase income while I stay at home.
I want to create a community to encourage other people to follow those little whispers we all get and try different things. Life is so short.
This is a great space for you if you:
- Ever felt flaky for not wanting to focus more on just one thing
- March to the beat of your own drum
- Are curious about or trying out your own side hustles
- Are a parent who wants to spend more time at home with your kids
- Want tips on traveling with young kids
- Are interested in frugal living or living more simply
- Want ideas on how to make more money or save more money
- Are looking for simple, delicious, and healthy recipes that your kids will love
I’m looking forward to getting to know you too. Stick around for a while! 🙂